May is Safety Month, a unique opportunity for our local construction firms to support a national movement, Safety Week, taking place May 1-5.
The goal of Safety Month is to raise safety awareness, inspire and improve safety practices and unite the entire construction industry with a commitment to leadership in living and promoting a strong safety culture and safe, injury-free work environments.
How can you participate?
Every company’s Safety celebration can and should be tailored to fit your company’s safety objectives.
Some options you might consider:
- Thanking your workers for supporting safety and recognizing their efforts to be injury free
- Increasing awareness of the importance of being committed to safety, every day
- Inspiring all of us to share best practices and to work together to strengthen our industry’s safety culture
- Celebrating the need to be injury free
- Conducting on-site safety awareness activities to support education and prevention of the OSHA’s ‘Fatal four’ (Falls, Struck by, Electrocution, and Caught-In-Between)
Engage Your Team May 1-5
Although safety is a topic that goes beyond one week, Safety Week is a great opportunity to remind your team about the little things that can keep everyone safe. This year’s Safety Week focuses on hand safety, and each day of the week focuses on one aspect of hand safety. You can add other safety tips as needed.
Here are the key topics for each day of the week. These can be covered in morning team meetings or through special activities.
- Mon, May 1 – Hand Injury
- Tues, May 2 – Analyze the Hazards
- Wed, May 3 – Types of Gloves
- Thurs, May 4 – Teamwork & Incident Response
- Fri, May 5 – First Aid
Please send any photos from your Safety Month celebrations to Lauren Tosti, firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you plan to post on social media, be sure to use #gbcasafety and #excellenceisbuilding.
Click the banner below to download your Toolbox Talks for National Safety Week!
We wish you a safe and productive year, and we’re proud to contribute to this important initiative!