Skanska USA Building is looking for a new Mechanical Preconstruction Engineer.
This unique opportunity seeks a Mechanical Preconstruction Apprentice/Estimator from the trades/trade school, preferably with about 4 to 5 years of estimating or subcontractor knowledge. The position does not require a college degree.
The Mechanical Preconstruction Engineer position is a four-year mechanical program where the individual will be trained on various mechanical components based in the Skanska PA office for three years, and then transfer to another region of need and develop into a senior level mechanical preconstruction professional. While in the Program you will be working directly with the Mechanical Preconstruction Director in the PA office learning about the plumbing, mechanical, and fire protection systems. You will develop cost estimates and other preconstruction services to ensure Skanska is completing our services accurately, timely and cost effectively.
What You’ll Do in the Program:
- Support Project Team migration to greater use of BIM/VDC tools.
- Mastery of Sage Timberline Estimating Software
- Able to develop estimates for Interior Construction and Exterior Envelope elements at concept and detailed levels of design. In the case of Mechanical and Electrical (MEP) disciplines, the same expectation exists.
- Developing skills as a technical writer capable of annotating assumptions and clarification narratives to support the estimate work.
- Develop a good knowledge of the subcontractor market(s). Able to attract subcontractor interest in our work and to explain our prequalification process to subcontractors.
- Develop a good working knowledge of our subcontractor purchasing process including bid package development, scope of work narratives, and completion of post-bid analysis interviews and comparisons
- Developing thru participation in Skanska training an understanding of our scheduling processes and procedures. Can accurately forecast the schedule durations for discipline expertise areas.
- Can propose Value Management Options in the discipline expertise areas
- Track and manage Value Management Options using the company PCE Process
- Develop an understanding of the Companies Risk Management Procedures
Skanska is Looking For:
- Ability to read blueprints for, and specifications, note important information and communicate the findings to the team and subcontractors;
- Meet critical deadlines, accurately obtain quantities for building components
- Proficient in selected company technology as related to Preconstruction. Specific use of prescribed systems such as Microsoft Applications, Sage applications, OST,Grade Beam etc.;
- Ability to work independently and make decisions, work independently and coordinate with Preconstruction Director;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner;
- Willingness to coordinate and work as a Team Member;
- Have basic understanding of VDC/BIM and its applications.
- Broad understanding of Construction industry and construction pricing
- Strong math/analytical skills
- Must have high level of integrity and be trustworthy
- Exhibits Skanska’s values and adheres to company code of ethics
- 1 to 5 years Mechanical Trade Experience
- B.S. in Engineering or Technical School Degree
- Subcontractor Experience
- Willingness to Relocate
The Mechanical Preconstruction Engineer position derives his or her authority, and performs all duties with guidance, from the Preconstruction Director.
Work Environment/Job Conditions
This job may be performed in the office or on the jobsite and requires frequent sitting (often working on a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching. Due to computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists. He/she must comply with all Company safety requirements in the office and on the jobsite.
For more information, or to apply, contact Jamie Grasso, HR Business Partner, Skanska USA Building: