The NAWIC Philadelphia Chapter 145 is hosting MyWIC Construction Camp June 22-29, 2018. The camp (formerly MAGIC Camp) is a program under Mentoring Young Women in Construction (MyWIC), an umbrella organization (501c3 pending) created by NAWIC Philadelphia Chapter 145 to continue its mission of mentoring youth in construction.
NAWIC Philadelphia Chapter 145 is looking for volunteers to help with fundraising, purchasing supplies, chaperoning, and student contact. Below is a list of volunteer opportunities. To volunteer, please contact Allison Calder and Mary Gaffney (ACalder@OliverFPS.com; Mary@gemmsi.com).
Click below to learn more about MyWIC 2018 Construction Camp:
VOLUNTEER – FUNDRAISING (March 1- May 31)
- Fundraising volunteer duties include but are not limited to:
- Revise fundraising letter to reflect the potential sponsor
- Mail or email fundraising letter and sponsorship form to potential sponsors
- Follow up with potential sponsors and answer any questions they may have about the camp
- Once a sponsor has committed, request high resolution logo for our website and t-shirt etc.
VOLUNTEER – PURCHASING SUPPLIES (April 1- June 15)
- Purchasing volunteer duties include but are not limited to:
- Reach out to local and/or national companies to solicit for tools and supplies.
- Home Depot/Lowes/local hardware store -Tool list to be determined by trade
- Request donations of non-perishable snacks
- Request donations of cases of water bottles
- Must coordinate pick up or delivery of materials and bring them to the backpack day on June 13th.
- Purchasing volunteers must attend the backpacking day tentatively scheduled for June 13th from 4:00pm – 7:00pm at the offices of GEM Mechanical Services, 5101 Birney Highway, Aston, PA.
VOLUNTEER – STUDENT CONTACT (May 7- June 22)
- Student contact volunteer duties include but are not limited to:
- Keep track of student registration via the ACTIVE Network
- Follow-up with students or their families to collect the appropriate documentation
- Reach out to students with updated information prior to camp
VOLUNTEER – CAMP CHAPERONE “MENTORS” (June 22, June 25-29)
Chaperones provide additional adult supervision and ensure a safe and well-supervised learning experience for students.
PREPARATION / CLEARANCES
- Chaperones must submit Child Abuse and Criminal Record Clearances to the Volunteer Coordinator prior to the first day of camp. Clearances are free, but could take a month to receive so please complete these forms EARLY.
- Criminal Record Check – Use this website: https://epatch.state.pa.us/TandCVolunteerAction.do
- Child Abuse Clearance – Use this website: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- Chaperones must attend the first full day of camp on Friday, June 22, to orient themselves with the location, activities, and students. Orientation for volunteers will start at 8:00 AM, the girls will arrive at 9:00AM.
- Chaperones must abide by the dress code of the construction industry including long pants, t-shirts, and closed-toed shoes (boots preferred). No dangling jewelry or wearing anything that can become caught in a tool or machine. We will provide each Chaperone with a camp T-shirt to wear.
- Disrespect towards fellow volunteers, campers, guest instructors, or instructors will not be tolerated. No profanity, headphones, or smoking is allowed. Campers are to abide by the same conduct. You have the authority to enforce the rules and appropriate behavior. Should there be any issues, please contact the Head Chaperone listed below or contact Allison Calder (302) 528-6918 or Mary Gaffney (610) 742-3156.
- To ensure that you are able to devote your full attention to the important responsibilities of chaperoning, restrict cell phone use to emergencies only.
- Chaperones must abide by the following:
- Purchase AM snacks and bring them to GIRLS Inc.
- Arrive by 7:30 AM and assist in setup for the day
- Help take attendance
- Ride the bus with the students! This is a must.
- Inform parents of departures and returns via BAND app or other communication vehicle that we establish.
- Remain with the students
To volunteer for any of the above positions, please contact Allison Calder and Mary Gaffney (ACalder@OliverFPS.com; Mary@gemmsi.com).