On May 24, 2022, the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) held a virtual Coffee Chat featuring Emily Bittenbender, Managing Partner of Bittenbender Construction, LP. Led by Mary Kate Radomski, Operations Manager for Frank V. Radomski & Sons, Inc., the chat spotlighted Emily’s path into construction, as well as her thoughts about mentorship and bringing up the next generation of construction and city leaders.
Some highlights from Emily:
- Her father and grandfather were her primary mentors. Their mentorship and their impact on her life have guided her approach to career development and leadership.
- Look for people who may seem unlikely mentors as they may have some of the best lessons for you. While women can and should mentor other women, young women should not rely only on other women to be their mentors.
- Build up your team to include a diverse group of people: People of different races, ages, etc., bring forward more ideas that can be useful and promote innovation in your company.
- Grow your network through organizations like GBCA, but also don’t limit your networking to the construction industry. You want people in your network who will grow with you in your career.
- In construction, be communicative. Bittenbender Construction’s leadership team works hard to connect workers in the office and the field together. These efforts have resulted in trust between the leadership team, the office, and the field staff.
The CLC Coffee Chats are informal meetings that provide GBCA’s young construction professionals an opportunity to hear from an experienced construction executive, and to ask frank questions about working in Philadelphia’s commercial construction industry.
Thank you, Emily, for sharing your experiences with us, and we look forward to seeing the CLC again at the next Coffee Chat!