GBCA and AGC of America co-hosted the 2019 Leadership Development Conference from September 11-13. The conference brought together members of AGC Chapters’ Construction Leadership Councils—emerging professionals—to Philadelphia to learn leadership skills, discuss construction industry issues, and to network. Thanks to all who attended, to the experts who led the sessions, and to the sponsors of the event. Here are some of the highlights (more photos will be posted soon!):
Reception at Carpenters’ Hall
After the conference Welcome Reception, some attendees headed to a special reception at Carpenters’ Hall, where Dr. Charles Cook, Assistant Clinical Professor at Drexel University’s Construction Management Program and GBCA Board Member, spoke about the role of the construction industry in the founding of the nation.
Two keynote sessions focused on the mission of the Construction Leadership Council: to build up a construction community/network and to give back to the community.
Keynote Speaker: Corrine O’Connell, CEO, Habitat for Humanity
Keynote Speaker: Nancy Dunleavy, Founder and CEO, Dunleavy & Associates
Special Guest Speaker: AGC Scholarship Recipient Daria Neri spoke about the value of funding students in construction-related post-secondary education programs.
The conference featured seminars designed to develop leadership skills.
Facilitator: Robert Johnston, President, Delaware Leadership Academy Inc. – Dale Carnegie Training
Facilitator: Pat DeAngelis, Senior Advisor to the CEO & Leadership Team, EDA Contractors, Inc.
Attendees took seminars on issues facing today and tomorrow’s construction industry.
Construction Leadership Council Best Practices
Conference attendees shared ideas and strategies from their respective CLC chapters.
- Casey Kehoe, Business Development, Revolution Recovery, LLC
- Ronald Zawacki, Sales Executive, Siemens Industry Inc.
Technology and Construction: Drones
- Matt DeBasio, Project Estimator, P. Agnes, Inc.
- Tanner McKim, Senior VDC Engineer, Gilbane Building Company
- Brian Wagner, Project Manager, Belcher Roofing Corporation
- Moderator: Mary Kate Radomski, Assistant Project Manager, Frank V. Radomski & Sons, Inc.
Diversity & Inclusion: Women in Construction
- Amy Novak, Project Executive, Torcon, Inc.
- Angela McCaffery, Chief Operating Officer, Bittenbender Construction, LP
- Christine Fiori, Program Director & Clinical Professor, Drexel University Construction Management Program
- Iliana Limon, Project Manager, Shoemaker Construction Co.
- Karla Wursthorn, Senior Estimator – Preconstruction, TN Ward Company
- Moderator: Maura Hesdon, General Manager, Shoemaker Construction Co.
The best part about coming together is creating community, and the official reception at Lucky Strike provided an excellent opportunity for attendees to network and have fun.
Hard Hat Tour
The conference ended with a jobsite tour of LF Driscoll’s Penn Medicine Pavilion project. Other GBCA members working on the project include:
- AT Chadwick Company, Inc.
- Bayshore Rebar
- Berlin Steel
- Binsky & Snyder, LLC
- Chesco Coring & Cutting
- Dale Construction
- DM Sabia & Co.
- Hilti Inc.
- Madison Concrete Construction
- Med-Tex Services, Inc.
- Oliver Fire Protection & Security
- Philadelphia D&M
- Richard S. Burns & Company
- Roma Steel
- Shore Supply
- Superior Scaffold Services
- The Graham Company
- The Watson Organization, Inc.
- United Rentals
The 2020 Leadership Development Conference will be held in Chicago, October 13-16, 2020. Hope to see everyone there!
Thanks also to the Conference Sponsors: